What is expanded metal?And what are its unique characteristics and advantages?
Expanded metal is made by making cuts in a metal plate and then stretching it, creating diamond-shaped holes which make the metal plate look like a ‘grid’. The original plate is then stretched making it bigger.
The advantages of expanded metal
- Because there are no welds, expanded metal is stronger than a traditionally made ‘grid’.
- Because the material is stretched, it means that the weight per m² is less than the material originally used.
- It is possible to allow more air through expanded metal than other comparable materials.
- Environment friendly: because nothing is punched or cut out, material isn't wasted.
- Expanded metal is easy to shape/bend
- Expanded metal has a different degree of transparency when seen from different angles making aesthetic variation possible.